Friday, February 18, 2011

Two are Better than One...

Kevin and I have been taking a marriage course at our Methodist church for the past three weeks in February and it is about to wrap up next Wednesday night.  I am honestly sad to see it end as I have really enjoyed meeting the other couples (approximately 12 other couples in the class) and hearing how closely all of our paths have aligned during our engagement periods!  The first night, the minister made all the guys go around the room and tell the story of how each couple met.  Then, the second week, the girls had to tell the stories of how the boys proposed.  It was so funny to hear the girls version of the stories and watch the boys want to chime in and correct some of the details that they thought were more important! 


This week's class was particularly entertaining as we all played an improv game.  Basically the rules of the game were that you had to make up a weird juxtaposed word, say it to the person to your right, and then that person would in turn have to define it on the spot.  The great thing about this game was that there were no wrong answers.  Anything goes!  Kevin gave me some iteration of the word "Laegren" ...my response was "a color from the Martha Stewart Color Collection between a turquoise and a lime green." 


Then I turned to my right and gave the word, "pickletoe."  It was really fun to hear what everyone came up with or rather struggled to come up with! The point of the game was show that sometimes, marriage isn't easy, just like the game, but you have to be there rooting for your team mate and get through it together! And if all else fails, just make it up and go with it!

Our homework assignment for this week's class was to bring in some scripture readings that we were considering having read at our wedding.  Kevin and I haven't nailed down our definite choices quite yet, but we have a pretty good idea.  Our minister said that he used to write love letters to his girlfriend at the time, current wife now, Leslie using paraphrasing from Ecclesiastes 4.  This particular verse struck a chord with me because Kevin is always there for me and picks me up joyfully when I need a hand!  I also like the interpretation of the three strands which are not broken.  I believe Kevin and I are well on our way to building a Sacred Marriage and I have so enjoyed this course and the people we have met along the way!


Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Ecclesiastes 4

3 comments:

  1. i love this passage, andra! sounds like a fun class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would say something from a Martha Stewart collection

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying reading your blog. You and Kevin seem to be having a wonderful time all through this process. Your marriage will be wonderful!
    Love you Guys!
    Aunt Trudy

    ReplyDelete