Friday, June 3, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Last weekend was quite the trip! Kevin and I always love spending time with our respective families and it is always refreshing to see Kevin's side as there are a lot of little children that are so fun and cute to play with!

We ended up getting off around 2pm on Friday and started the trek down south.  Atlanta traffic wasn't terrible, especially when we had gorgeous country roads to look forward to as we got closer to Alma.  The first year that Kevin took me down to the farm, I had noticed a rural country road that was called "Rentz road."  I begged Kevin to let me get a snap shot of it this time, as next Memorial Day I won't be able to claim Rentz anymore!



Thankfully, my mom called right before we left Atlanta and told me to check the mailbox.  The newest issue of Martha Stewart Weddings was waiting for me and I was able to study the magazine on the way down.  Kevin gave Momma and me a subscription to the magazine when we got engaged.  One of the best parts so far of the wedding planning process has been talking to mom on the phone while pouring over the magazine together.  We both look through it alone and then dog ear the pages we want to discuss over the phone. 


A wedding related highlight of the weekend for me was being able to ask our adorable Flower Girls to be part of our wedding! Kevin's cousin's children, Grace and Emma, are the most adorable little girls and we were so thrilled that they accepted our invitation to be Flower Girls at our ceremony.  Grace and Emma along with another cousin's child on my side will be the Flower Girl troop.  I had a flower girl cookie made for Grace and Emma, just like I did for the bridesmaids.  Katy, my future sister-in-law was so sweet to take some shots on my camera for me of the moment when we asked the girls.  They were so excited and seemed to enjoy the yummy sugar cookie!  Emma- the younger one kept telling me about a dress that she already had that was white.  Hopefully, they will still be as excited 11 months from now!


And last but not least, the mile high hummingbird cake was delicious! I highly recommend the recipe.  However, make sure you think ahead and test out how high your cake dome is.  I had a to leave off the top two layers as the cake dome was not tall enough to accommodate the mile high height! The white chocolate cream cheese icing was heavenly!  It is definitely going to be a repeat recipe in our house!

Kevin and I are about to hit the road for the weekend yet again! We are headed to Augusta this weekend to stay with Kevin's parents and attend an engagement cookout party for one of Kevin's high school friends.  One of Kevin's groomsmen and his wife will be there and we look forward to catching up with them! 

Happy Friday everyone! Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like y'all had a blast last weekend!! Kevin's second cousins are precious! Will the hummingbird cake make an appearence at 4th of July?

    ReplyDelete