Thursday, January 13, 2011

No business like SNOW business!

It's been quite a crazy four days here in Atlanta.  We received 4-5 inches of fluffy, white SNOW! Kevin and I prepared for the worst this past Saturday and Sunday, venturing to Publix on not one but both days to stock up on food for the pending winter blizzard that was forecasted to hit Georgia! (yes, I am my Mother's daughter...I was awakened by a text early Saturday morning by my Mommy which directed me to get out of bed and head straight to Publix to stock up...turns out she was 100% correct! Thanks Mom!)  On Saturday, when we arrived at Publix, there were absolutely no grocery carts to be found! Everyone had the same idea.  We cooked dinner in our new slow cooker on Saturday which enabled us to have plenty of leftovers for the first few days of snow.  We also made dinner for a couple at church who just had a baby.  We delivered their meal on Sunday after we attended the Georgia Bridal Expo.  It was a busy weekend, so the past few days have been nice to catch up on a few things! 

The bridal show was definitely eye-opening!  Kevin was surprised at how quickly I walked through the vendors.  It was more like a career fair for brides - sometimes you just "know" what you are looking for!  We did manage to snag a few cards of vendors we liked.  We also got to wear cute little bride and groom stickers to identify ourselves! (like we didn't know?)

Sunday evening was when the snow started to fall.  Monday morning, the sleet arrived to coat all the powder in a thick icy layer.  It was really fun to get out and take a few pictures.  The first snow Kevin and I experienced together was during our senior year in Athens.  It was March 1st, 2009 and I was about to leave for a Bahamas cruise the following week on spring break.  Kevin and I played in the snow and hiked all around Athens marveling in the beauty of a white winter wonderland! We did the same thing on Monday here in Atlanta.  Little did we know, we would still be "playing" in it today, Day 4 of the great Atlanta SNOW!

View of the courtyard outside my front door

Looking out towards the gate and pool house
Kevin and I must have watched at least five movies over the past few days.  We rented Wall Street and thought it was entertaining.  I also tricked Kevin into watching Sabrina and Meet Joe Black (only because it was my birthday yesterday!)  I turned 24 and got to spend the entire day with my amazing fiance! He didn't have many options in terms of surprising me or entertaining me on my birthday since the majority of the city was shut down, but he managed to make our snow day/birthday perfectly magical!  We celebrated by venturing out (for the first time in 3 days)to my favorite restaurant in Vinings- SOHO for lunch!  They have a glass sun room on a second story level where we dined and watched the snow continue to fall.  When we arrived the waiters and staff announced how happy they were to see us, their first customers after having been closed for 2 days.  The waitress could sympathize with me, as her birthday was on Monday, the worst day of the snow! 
24 years old!

Looks like a snow village behind us!


The snow has altered my birthday plans but we are rolling with the punches and have a plan B weekend planned here in Atlanta.  My mother will be joining us this weekend to kick off the wedding venue visits.  I am so excited to have her help!  We had planned a few days in Atlanta then some birthday time in North Carolina so that my sister could join, but had to scratch that as it seemed Asheville also got slammed with snow!  We will see Jenna next weekend and are looking forward to that as well!  Here's to the start of my 24th year-one that has started off in a very memorable way! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment